Kirkwood Mountain Resort, south of Lake Tahoe, is a year-round resort in Kirkwood, California, about 33 miles south of south of Lake Tahoe, that focuses on skiing and snowboarding in winter and hiking and mountain-biking in summer. One of the region's larger resorts, it is well known for having one of the highest average snowfalls and a broad selection of advanced skiing terrain—all located within the Eldorado National Forest.
Highlights and tips:
- 2 miles of ridgeline at the top makes Kirkwood popular for cliff drops and cornices
- Surface tows provide access to what was formerly "hike-to" terrain along Vista Ridge and Fawn Ridge. The best time to catch the tows running is the second or later days after a storm cycle.
- Downhill mountain bike rentals are available during the summer season. Two- to three-day reservations before renting are recommended, as a large group can rent all available bikes before the lifts open.
- Other summer activities include a well-equipped gym with a pool and spa, climbing wall, ropes course and a disc golf course.
- Numerous condominium and time-shares provide substantial accommodations at the resort.
- A guest shuttle offers $5 trips to and from South Lake Tahoe.