Fall fashion is all about global prints and strong, bold color. You can rock these styles from the tarmac to cocktails at the hotel by adding a few key accessories. The editors at Where Orlando sat down with stylist Melanie Pace to talk fashion trends and shopping musts. Melanie is a local fashion hero, styling fashion shows and dressing celebrities such as Giuliana Rancic. She’s also a personal shopper, available to locals and visitors to find that perfect fall outfit, that’s right on trend. Here are 12 ways Melanie says you can stay on trend.
1. Pop of Color—Shots of bright color such as cobalt, hot pink and bright greens are must-haves. Red is another choice color; you’ll find it in every hue on everything from dresses to shoes to handbags. Red and black worn together make a big impact. Silver from head to toe is on the rise, too.
2. An ‘It’ Bag—Choose a structured bag for a more polished, updated look. Right now it is all about the clutch. Clutches are not just for nighttime; new bags are bigger, bolder and meant to be carried throughout the day.
3. Mix Your Prints—This fall, you’re going to see a lot of prints, but the way to make them on trend is to wear more than one at the same time. Mix and match at will. If you’re not as daring but you want the look, choose your favorite print then mix it with a black-and-white one as your neutral. Bring it together with a jacket in a solid color.
4. Booties—and lots of them—in all lengths and heel heights. You can’t go wrong in choosing a bootie, but one with cutouts are more fashion-forward and bring pizzazz to an outfit and stand out from the crowd.
5. Layering—Since this is Florida, heat can be such a downer when it comes to the fall season. We see these beautiful booties, scarves, chunky knits and everything fur, and we just can’t wear them here. Try layering. A jacket, coat or a cardigan are must-have fall items; they instantly make an outfit look fall without changing a thing and keep you warm when heading indoors to the blasting air conditioning after fighting 100-degree weather.
6. Sneak It In—One of my favorite new shoe trends for fall is the sneaker. Comfort seems to be the thing, and let me tell you ... I am not complaining.
7. Animal Instincts—Don’t miss anything shearling or leather: they’re so luxe you can’t help but stop and touch. Or, try something in the utility family; if it looks like something you’d take on a camping trip, grab it. Pair it with your best dress and moto jacket.
8. Global Chic—The current frenzy for prints is all about global chip. Bold tribal prints, plus floral, geometric, stripes and animal prints are big now and anything goes. You’re also going to see a lot of texture such as fur, snakeskin and fringe.
9. Travel-Savvy—Pants are perfect for travel. A soft, stretchy dress pant can be just as comfortable as a pair of pj pants (so leave the sweats behind). Pick a pair of printed jeans that have just enough stretch they feel like leggings, but with a worldly twist (the bolder the print the better). Why not have fun with your travel gear?
10. Pile It On—This season is all about the extras. An oversized clutch or a structured tote bag just isn’t enough. It’s about the details with a splash of glam. Statement jewelry is a must. Choose a pair of earrings or an oversized floral neckline necklace to fit right in with the fashion go-getters.
11. Holiday Shine—Fall fashion has the holidays in mind, so you’ll see lots of jeweled and metallic looks. Find some statement jewelry you can use to dress up a plain white t-shirt and a pair of boyfriend jeans.
12. Made in the Shade—Sunglasses are a way to make a very simple outfit pop, and the bolder the better. Some of the new styles seem like they’re from another era (or another planet), but go for it. Try reflective lenses or a blue shade.
Shot on location in Winter Park, Fla. near Orlando. Model: Adrienne Ferreira, Benz Models. Jeans: 7 for all mankind; Top: DVF; Jacket: A-K-R-I-S-Punto; Shoes: Valentino; Earrings: Alexis Bittar; Bag: Balenciaga; Glasses: Gucci; Key Chain: Fendi; Bracelets, Necklace and Cuff: Alexis Bittar. All at Neiman Marcus. Styled by Melanie Pace. Make-up: Patricia Lejeune. Hair: Yen Ryder.