Sure, Orlando is known for its theme parks, but there's much more to do than rollercoasters. Disney's Animal Kingdom offers a 20-minute safari ride where visitors board a jeep and drive out into the savannah where rhinos, zebras and giraffes get close enough for selfies. SeaWorld Orlando's sister park Discovery Cove gives guests the chance to swim with dolphins and stingrays in a beautiful, tropical setting.
Outside of the theme parks, many more family adventures await out in the great outdoors. Central Florida is home to hundreds of lakes, which are best explored out on the water, whether it's an airboat ride to look for gators, a challenging standup paddleboard class or a relaxing kayak trip on crystal-clear springs. Many visitors are surprised to learn that Orlando is home to the Florida Everglades. The source of the everglades, Shingle Creek, is right here in Central Florida where it flows into Lake Tohopekaliga, then into the Kissimmee River system where it feeds into the Everglades in South Florida.
Florida is the sunshine state, and with such amazing weather year-round, be sure to make time to enjoy our natural side. Ride a zipline through the trees, take a hot air balloon ride or go see manatees in the wild.
- Most of these adventures can be booked through your concierge.
- Florida is the Sunshine State, so be sure to slather on the sunscreen and drink lots of water.
- Summer brings afternoon showers so pack rain gear and always be cautious of lightning.
- It's also a good idea to wear bug repellant. Mosquitoes love living here, too.
- Look for coupons in our Where Quick Guide found at your hotel.