It’s worth a visit to DUMBO almost any day of the year, and it’s not just because it is at the other end of a stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge. This onetime industrial neighborhood now boasts beautiful brownstones, shops and places to dine along with the most breathtaking views of the Lower Manhattan skyline you can find anywhere.
DUMBO is a compact neighborhood, but there’s lots to do both indoors and out. Rent a Citi Bike to take in the whole ’hood. You'll find a riverfront esplanade at Brooklyn Bridge Park, historic carved horses at Jane's Coarousel and a floating concert hall at Bargemusic, amongst other fantastic finds.
- Brooklyn Bridge Park, Pier 1, Old Fulton St. and Furman St., 718.222.9939
- Jane’s Carousel, New Dock St., 718.222.2502
- Bargemusic, 1 Water St. at Fulton Ferry Landing
From white tablecloth restaurants to sit-on-the-grass lobster rolls, DUMBO eats span the spectrum. Depending on what you’re looking for—and what you want to spend—you can grab a sandwich or experience an elaborate, six-course tasting menu. And, if you are looking for one-of-a-kind boutique shopping, this is also your ’hood for men’s and women’s gifts, antiques, books and more. Combine that with a concert on a barge or a stroll around Brooklyn Bridge Park, and you have designed for yourself one helluva grand day.
- The River Café, 1 Water St., 718.522.5200
- Juliana’s, 19 Old Fulton St., 718.596.6700
- Vinegar Hill House, 72 Hudson St., 718.522.1018
Check out books and art, shop at the historic renovated warehouse that is now Empire Stores, or browse vintage housewares and antiques.
- The Powerhouse Arena, 28 Adams St., 718.666.3049
- Empire Stores, 53-83 Water St.
- Jacques Torres Chocolate, 66 Water St., 718.875.1269
Nothing complements a day of exploring and shopping like a libation, and in DUMBO, you can have it any way you like. While the area is not chockablock with bars, you’ll have no trouble finding what you seek in the area’s restaurants or at these local watering holes.
- Superfine, 126 Front St., 718.243.9005
- 68 Jay Street Bar, 68 Jay St., 718.260.8207
- Olympia Wine Bar, 54 Jay St., 718.624.7900