New York City is much bigger than Manhattan, leaving you with places like the Bronx waiting to be explored. This borough is never too far from the main social scene, and it’s been making a significant comeback since the 1980s. Some of the biggest parts of our culture call it home, from hip hop to Latin jazz to the New York Yankees! No matter where you go, you’re bound to find a surprise down every corner.
The Bronx is the perfect spot for a seafood dish throughout all five boroughs. One of its neighborhoods is City Island, a community that thrives on all things nautical. You’ll find restaurants there like Artie’s Steak and Seafood and taste some of the freshest fish in the city. If you like your seafood with an extra taste like Italian and Latin-Asian fusion, don’t worry. The Bronx offers plenty of restaurants that are sure to hit all the right taste buds.
- Da Franco & Tony, 2815 Middletown Rd., 718.684.2815
- Suyo Gastrofusion, 1401 Plaza Dr., 718.537.7896
- Artie’s Steak & Seafood, 394 City Island Ave., 718.885.9885
The Bronx holds many hidden gems throughout its neighborhoods that you might not expect to find there. It’s a place rich with culture and loves to be up close to the outdoors. You can spend your day walking along several nature trails in the New York Botanical Garden, and you can even have some animals join you when you visit the Bronx Zoo. If you want to learn more about the Bronx’s unique culture, take a visit to the Bronx Museum of the Arts.
- Bronx Zoo, 2300 Southern Blvd., 718.220.5100
- New York Botanical Garden, 2900 Southern Blvd., 718.817.8700
- Bronx Museum of the Arts, 1040 Grand Concourse, 718.681.6000
A stop into a Bronx bar will bring you a guaranteed fun afternoon. You’ll find every drink under the sun inside their walls, and they’ll always be accompanied by something fun to do. The bars offer unique events every week that you can’t find anywhere else. They also serve specialty drinks that are sure to put a smile on your face with each sip. Answer some trivia questions with your drink at Bronx Alehouse, drink a cocktail with the coolest name at Blackstone or play some Jukebox Bingo while sipping a beer at Brewski’s.
- Bronx Alehouse, 216 W. 238th St., 718.601.0204
- Blackstone Bar & Grill, 3713 Riverdale Ave., 347.346.6004
- Brewski’s Bar & Grill, 3718 E. Tremont Ave., 718.684.2900
Many shopping districts call the Bronx home, such as Fordham Road and the Hub. There, you’ll find shopping malls filled with the hottest brands on the market. If you want a shopping setting that’s a little more intimate, they have several local stores along their streets as well. You can step into various clothing stores and find just what you’re looking for, be it secondhand clothes or the latest trends. You can also get a quick bite at sweet shops like Chocolate Place.
- Third Eye Throwbacks, 3004 Middletown Rd., 646.335.6537
- Bon Bini, 204 E. Fordham Rd., 718.584.8826
- Chocolate Place, 839 Morris Park Ave., 718.892.5783