The New Orleans Museum of Art is a nexus for the arts in New Orleans, an iconic presence synonymous with the city, and recognized nationally as the foremost cultural institution in the Gulf South.
The New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA), the city’s oldest fine arts institution, has a magnificent permanent collection of almost 40,000 objects. The collection, noted for its extraordinary strengths in French and American art, photography, glass, and African and Japanese works, continues to grow.
The five-acre Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden at NOMA is one of the most important sculpture installations in the United States, with over 60 sculptures situated on a beautifully landscaped site amongst meandering footpaths, reflecting lagoons, Spanish moss-laden 200-year-old live oaks, mature pines, magnolias, camellias, and pedestrian bridges.
NOMA is committed to the health and safety of our community. The Museum and Besthoff Sculpture Garden are now open Wednesday through Sunday, 10 AM to 5 PM. Safety guidelines require face coverings and social distancing. Prepaid, contactless ticketing is available for visitors to the Museum.
NOMA has implemented several preventative measures to reduce the spread of Covid-19:
- NOMA is maintaining a rigorous cleaning schedule, frequently sanitizing high touch areas like door handles.
- NOMA staff have access to masks and gloves.
- Plexiglass shields have been installed at the visitors services desk, museum store, and at the sculpture garden.
- Hand sanitation stations have been installed for staff and visitors.
- Signage throughout the Museum has been installed to communicate protocol and remind visitors to remain socially distant.
- All staff in the building submits to a daily symptom screener.
NOMA continues to exhibit, interpret and preserve works of art from ancient to modern times. Paintings, drawings and prints, and decorative arts survey the development of Western Civilization from the pre-Christian era to the present. Reflecting its rich historic and cultural heritage in New Orleans, NOMA has formed a comprehensive survey of French art.
As it has for a century, NOMA continues to be a gathering place for all those seeking to share the beauty of this extraordinary collection or world art and learn from it. NOMA engages, educates and enriches the diverse populations within, and drawn to, the New Orleans area.