Showcasing local produce and artisan food products, farmers markets are seasonal celebrations of Georgia's bounty. Stroll past colorful displays in tented booths. Sniff just-picked fruits and vegetables at their peak. Get to know the hardworking harvesters who feed the region.
Atlanta chef and restaurateur Linton Hopkins (Restaurant Eugene, Holeman & Finch, H&F Burger, Hop's Chicken, Linton's), helped launch the Peachtree Road Farmers Market. “I wanted something more local, a place for young farmers, a place that could foster and develop people,” he said. "It can be a good economic start for [farmers]. Some of the farmers grow exclusively for us and for the market.”
Many markets offer free chef demonstrations for incorporating these farm-fresh ingredients into daily meals. “[The demonstrations are] a great way to connect with our guests and to beautifully showcase the produce available locally,” said Kyma Executive Chef Pano Karatassos.
Hopkins still finds inspiration at farmers markets. “A fresh crop of something like baby lettuce leaves can spark my creativity. There’s magic in such high-quality products," he said. "Plus, shopping the farmers market on a Saturday morning is a really fun thing to do with my family.”
Plan your market visit by confirming details about chef appearances and finding out what’s currently in season—or you can wing it. When it comes to farmers markets there is one certainty: Whether you shop with purpose or meander aimlessly, your inner gourmand is sure to feel inspired.
Dates and times listed reflect 2016 schedules.
Alpharetta Farmers Market
- Saturdays 8:30 am-1 pm, April 16-Oct. 29
- Old Canton St. between Milton Ave. and Canton St.
Atlanta State Farmers Market (indoor)
- 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
- 16 Forest Parkway, Buildings 1-110, Forest Park
Buford Highway Farmers Market (indoor)
- Daily 8 am-10 pm, all year
- 5600 Buford Highway NE
Decatur Farmers Market
- Wednesdays 4-7 pm, March 30-Dec. 21
- Saturdays 9 am-1 pm, April 2-Dec. 17
- First Baptist Church of Decatur, 308 Clairemont Ave.
Dekalb Farmers Market (indoor)
- Daily 9 am-9 pm, all year
- 3000 E. Ponce de Leon Ave., Decatur
East Atlanta Village Farmers Market
- Thursdays 4-8 pm, March 31-Dec. 22
- 561 Flat Shoals Ave.
Grant Park Farmers Market
- Sundays 9:30 am-1:30 pm, April 3-Dec. 18
- Grant Park, 600 Cherokee Ave.
Green Market at Piedmont Park
- Saturdays 9 am-1 pm, March 19-Dec. 10
- Piedmont Park entrance on 12th St. and Piedmont Ave.
Freedom Farmers' Market
- Saturdays 9 am-1 pm, all year
- The Carter Center, 453 Freedom Pkwy. NE
Old Fourth Ward Farmers' Market (Fourth Farmers)
- Saturdays 9 am-noon, May-November
- Southern Dairies, 621 North Ave. NE
Marietta Square Farmers Market
- Saturdays 9 am-noon, April-December
- Sundays noon-3 pm, May-October
- 65 Church St. NW, Marietta
Morningside Farmers Market
- Saturdays 8-11:30 am, all year
- 1393 N. Highland Ave.
Peachtree Road Farmers Market
- Wednesdays 4:30-8 pm (April 13-Oct. 26)
- Saturdays 8:30 am-noon (April 2-Sep. 24), 9 am-noon (Oct. 1-Dec. 17)
- The Cathedral of St. Philip, 2744 Peachtree Road NW