Saturday, April 25, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit Nepal and the Kathmandu Valley and was followed shortly after by a 6.7 magnitude earthquake. This resulted in buildings and historical sites crumbling and a death toll now estimated at over 5,000.
People and organizations are coming together to give disaster relief and aid to the Nepalese. There are organizations devoted to providing assistance to children, ones that collect donations for supplies and organizations that provide medical help to those in need. Here are 10 ways you can contribute to disaster relief in Nepal and the surrounding areas:
1. Friends Service Council Nepal is a local not-for-profit non-government organization that is devoted to socio-economic development and human rights. Since the earthquake they have been providing tents, food and money to those in need.
2. Save the Children is an international charity that has worked in Nepal for almost 40 years. Donations will help this organization provide assistance to children and their families during this difficult time.
3. CARE is a humanitarian organization that is dedicated to fighting global poverty and has been working in Nepal focusing on the structural causes of poverty. The organization is currently on the ground providing assistance and donations will help these efforts.
4. Unicef is the U.N. children’s agency that provides help to some of the world’s most at need children. Donations will help them get humanitarian supplies to Katmandu.
5. Facebook makes donating easy through the International Medical Corps, which already has teams in Nepal helping with disaster relief. Facebook will match every dollar that is donated to this organization up to $2 million.
6. Lutheran World Relief is on the ground in Nepal and working with local partners to provide further assistance. They are currently shipping quilts, personal care kits and water filtration units.
7. World Help is a Christian humanitarian organization that primarily works in developing countries. They are working with teams on the ground to provide medical supplies, clean water, food and shelter.
8. The charity fundraising website GlobalGiving has set up a fund for relief efforts in Nepal. Donations will go towards food, clean water, hygiene products, fuel and shelter as well as supporting long-term recovery efforts.
9. Tourism Cares started a Nepal Recovery Fund that unites the travel industry’s contributions. Donations to this fund will be used for tourism that will help revitalize the tourism industry, which plays a big role in Nepal’s economy.
10. Here are additional charities and organizations that need donations for providing relief to Nepal: